Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Confessions of a Night Owl

(On a lighter note)

I am a night owl who works an early morning job.  Here are a few things that I have learned and must confess.

Sunrises are beautiful.
I confess that I am enjoying all of the sunrises I have been privileged to see since starting work so early.  I know that it is tough some days to wake at 5 AM.  However, most mornings bless my drive to work here in Colorado with a beautiful, big-sky sunrise that begs viewing.  I have needed to stop on a few occasions just to admire the colors and spectacle around me.  I can testify that most confirmed night owls will not see a handful of sunrises in a year.  Early birds get that honor.

Sleep before midnight really is more beneficial.
I once heard that every hour of sleep before midnight is almost equivalent to two before the clock strikes twelve.  I confess that when I get to bed early on weeknights, I feel more rested than when I stay up late on weekends and sleep in.  Maybe that anecdote is not such a stretch.  Besides, all quality TV is aired before 10 PM (CST), anyway.

Early birds really do get more done before 10 AM.
I confess that when I am at my early morning job, I really do get more done before 10 AM than if I am at home on a "sleep in" weekend.  On a weekend that I sleep in to 7 or 8 AM, I will look at the clock after a slow breakfast or late shower around 10 AM and compare what I would have gotten done at work.  That makes me feel guilty every time!  I know that some weekend days need to be slow and relaxing.  But, how much could I have accomplished had I gotten up just a little earlier?

I will probably always tend to be a night owl, but now I have early bird yearnings.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary~
    I clicked over to your blog from Jon's blog where he was asking about 5 things that make us happy. My list would change every day but 2 things popped into my mind right away -- one being clean carpets and the 2nd being the exquisite sunrise my daughter and I saw THIS morning. Then, minutes ago, you expressed your sentiment about sunrise. I'm with you on that! and also about getting much more done early in the day. I find the silence and dawning of each morning to be inspiring and nourishing. Trying to say I liked and AGREED with your post. All the best ~ Amy (friend of Jon & Deb)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The older I've gotten, the more "earlier-birdier" I've become :-) I too enjoy beautiful sunrises as I drive to work at 7 am each morning. Hope you have great morning today :-) Love, Jon

    ReplyDelete