Monday, January 2, 2012

My Notebook

You should see my notebook!!

When I started this blog a few days ago, I started writing down potential titles and ideas in a notebook.  I am already on page two!  Plus, I need to keep scratch paper in my pocket to jot down the "spur of the moment" flashes of genius.  Whoever thought that I had so much to say?

Now, I am sitting here thinking of this from a different point of view.  Perhaps, my notebook and scratch paper are a sign of something other than what they appear.  Maybe, age is creeping up on me more than I want to admit, and the notebook is a indication that I may be losing a small bit of recall.  As I edge everyday closer to my 50th year, have I already lost some of my ability to remember and need to rely on jotting down things in a notebook?

I am wired a little differently than most people I know.  I remember lots of things that surprise them.  I remember phone numbers that I have not used in a year or two.  I remember people by the license number on their car.  I even remember the employee numbers of my kitchen staff better than they do.  So, maybe this is why I am apprehensive about my notebook.  Am I forgetting more and feel the need to write down things, or is the notebook just a tool?

Let's go with the tool idea.  I know that the brain is a miracle, but it is still a muscle filled with wiring.  It needs exercise as much as the rest of me.  Writing should help.  My singing always kept me fresh, maybe I should get back to it.  Reading will definitely stretch me, too.  What has been hindering me more than anything is my time spent with electronic entertainment.  Yes, I know I am sitting in front of my computer at the moment.  However, I am not cruising the web, mindlessly looking for this or that or nothing.

And, because of a misspelling that I just made, I have a new blog title in my notebook.

2 comments:

  1. I say your notebook is definitely a tool...a tool that an eager writer uses because they begin to realize that there's something "celestial" in even the commonest things...and they don't want to miss it! Your entry reminded me of this amusing quote: "Memory is a crazy woman that hoards colored rags and throws away food." (Austin O'Malley, US author. I look forward to reading your entries each day (and you're "re-inspiring" me to write!) Love, big bro Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes a glimpse at the fleeting world of spirit is just that... a glimpse. If we don't write it down the noise of the world will drown it out and it's all but forgotten. In reality we are spirit having a experience in a body...not the other way around....a body with the occasional insight from spirit. I say it's important to develop our spirit with whatever tools necessary to discover our true inner self. Blessings Deb

    ReplyDelete