Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Thursday Humility Lesson

I was very confident about how work was going this morining.  Then, my supervisors showed up for a quick visit.

Humility is a good lesson to be learned often and, hopefully, in small doses.  Today, I got some gentle reminders that I still have a lot to learn, even at 49.  I have taken even minor criticisms of my job performance very personally lately.  So, today, when I thought that I had done well, but my supervisors thought otherwise, I decided that this would be my learning moment instead of an affront to my efforts.  I listened to their critique, thoroughly read through their follow-up notes and intend to apply to their guidance.

I am sure that they are not out to deflate me. That would be counterproductive to their task of seeing that departments under their supervision succeed.  I really think that they were trying to remind me to work smarter, not harder.  Once I determined that they were, essentially, on my side, I realized my mood improved, my anxiety dissipated, and I knew that I could sleep soundly tonight.

Humility might actually be a good sleep catalyst.

1 comment:

  1. Corrections are often difficult to receive, but how else do we ever grow? We can't learn if we're always trying to "prove" or "protect" something (usually an image we have of ourselves as "perfect")... Hope you had a good night's sleep! Love, big bro Jon

    ReplyDelete